Visitors

Thursday, February 24, 2011

The End of an 8-1/2 Year Chapter

For 8-1/2 years my life has been a living hell for the most part: dealing with a fucking insurance company over petty bullshit.

Okay?  How do you fake 13 surgeries?  And every other ailment under the sun as a result of being burnt 40% to death in the last 8-1/2 years?


I settled for the amount of money a Boilermaker (former career) can make in a little over two years.  That was my compensation for the last 8-1/2.

But hey, no better time to take the money and run than now.  The economy sucketh the big one and I've had 8-1/2 years to plan for the future and what I want to do with my life when I had the means to become an integral part of society.

Where did the motivation come from?  A number of events in the past few years but mainly in the last seven months.  I had gotten out of  a relationship which produced two beautiful girls.  I had no other choice but to stay with my parents.


So there I was with no car, license, and no money.  I struggled with addiction to prescription muscle relaxers for the last 8 years and it has ruined my life, love, and friendships.  But no more.


Last month my dad said I should find a place to live so I started searching.  Renting a home within walking distance from my daughters' school was astronomical, that didn't even include all the utilities.  A 4 bedroom home with a boiler system scared the fuck out of me with the heating cost.


That's when I called a friend to ask about an apartment she lived right near the school, she gave the number to the leasing agent.  That was a better deal but the view sucked!


I figured it was just time to get my fucking money from comp and enough of the bullshit of scraping by.  I called my lawyer and started the process.  That was on January 20th and it's taken until this week to get the case closed.

The first loft apartment I checked out before I decided to get off comp had a second location right down the street. Once the process of closing my case started rolling I decided to look at a two bed, two bath loft at the other place.  That was February 8th, and I put the security on it the next day (which I had to borrow of course).


So one week from today my life will be the total opposite of what it has been for the last 8-1/2 years.  Me and my girls will have a place to call home, and I'll be able to have a little privacy.  Living with your parents at 34 is a fucking nightmare.


I'll will finally be able to have a place to write without anyone to distract me (while kids are in school).  Since you cant have a barbecue grill in an apartment, even with a balcony, I guess I'll have to hone my other cooking skills in the kitchen.


So I'd like to thank the ex for kicking me out and to my parents who nit-pick everything: you were the motivation I needed to get the fuck on with life.


Remember those three things I told you I was passionate about: family, cooking, and writing?  And you said it was all "great ideas, you're full of them but never go through with them."  


That's where I've closed that chapter in my life, the last 8-1/2 years.  That's where my pipe dream ends and living the dream with my daughters begins.


You'll see.

9 comments:

  1. GOOD FOR YOU! I AM V E R Y PROUD OF YOU.

    :) THINGS WILL ONLY GET BETTER FROM HERE.

    I didn't know some of the things you were struggling with buddy. I'm calling you tonight........ PEACE OUT! A.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Mike!
    I'm so happy for you!

    Go forth and kicketh mammoth ass!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very proud of you Cuz, Good Luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CONGRATULATIONS, MIKE....Had a GREAT time @ the Kwami outing, Bud..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am very happy for you! As for living with the parents I feel you I'm older than you and due to job loss I had to move back home, it was suppose to be temporary but getting custody of the grand kids has made it difficult to afford to move. I am lucky though my mom has a 6 bedroom home and I have the whole first floor to myself so I'm in no hurry and I think my mom likes the company! But anyway Mike good luck and enjoy getting back to raising the little ladies on your own terms and keep writing because we all look forward to your blogs :) p.s glad were not partners in crime anymore were both better than that :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I feel you. Im living with my parents since my separation. I love them but u need a place to call your own. I very happy for you. You deserve it. Its sounds like there may even be a lil more to that story but u overcame n thats rare. Most people blame evryone else for their circumstances. I wish u well!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you and wish you and the girlies the best from here on out!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. so proud of you...you can do this..your a really good person and rooting for your new change & lease in life ;-)

    ReplyDelete