Visitors

Friday, September 16, 2011

I'll Swallow a Pill Before Pride

Earlier this spring I was diagnosed with  osteoarthritis in my hips.  The MRI showed a nice sized void in my left hip bone.  The prognosis: hip surgery in a minimum of three to five years, I am 35 with the hips of somebody double my age.

Yesterday as I made the daily walk to school to pick up my girls my left hip started tweaking on my.  I reached in my pocket and grabbed a pain pill, I was in so much pain I just chewed the pill without managing to barf it back up.

People have told me in the past "don't be embarrassed to use a cane."  It's not the embarrassment that stands in the way of using a cane, its a matter of pride.  I don't care if I have to walk with a limp at times but I will not sport a walking cane.

The pain started becoming unbearable back in November/December of this past year, but of course workers compensation wouldn't authorize an mri because they felt that problem was unrelated to my accident.  Geez that's funny because nobody in my family has hip problems and the mri showed mass amounts of tissue/muscle loss on my right buttock.

I'm sure being burnt half to death (most of which were the back of my legs), having multiple skin grafts, and being on my back for three solid weeks before learning to walk again had nothing to do with the hip problems I have now.  It's amazing how the American people and the government let insurance companies become so greedy.


The 8.5 years I dealt with workers compensation I had to swallow a lot of pride on many occasions.  It's a shitty feeling to have to ask somebody to borrow money because there's no food on the table with hungry kids to feed, or having to ask for help so our electricity never got shut off.


I'm done swallowing pride.  I'll walk it off until I can't walk anymore, then I will have the procedure done. This sudden change in weather is killing me as we speak....off to eat more of those yellow footballs because its time to wake the kids up for school, feed them, get them showered.  I don't have time for hip problems! 


So if you're healthy be grateful because having the hips of a 70 year old is no fun at 35.

No comments:

Post a Comment